Our School Council:
At MAEPS, pupil voice is an integral part of our school therefore the School Council is just one of many ways where students can express themselves freely. Meeting regularly allows Student Council representatives to assemble their own individual views, and those of others, in a welcoming, non-judgemental environment. These proactive discussions support the development of different ideas – incorporating further a greater sense of inclusivity both in school and in the wider community. In addition to fulfilling a recognised position of responsibility, School Council representatives embrace decision making and the organisation of key events. They work together to help make MAEPS a safe and happy place!
Through a democratic approach, class nominations transpire at the beginning of each new academic year. This allows students who wish to be considered for this celebrated role the opportunity to present themselves to their classmates and extended peer group. Prospective candidates are supported to assemble a short paragraph indicating the qualities that they believe would prove beneficial to the Student Council – in addition to areas of personal interest and any themes that they would like to see further developed across MAEPS.
What we have achieved:
Working alongside Miss Reid, over recent years, School Council representatives have successfully achieved some of the following things;
- Positive changes to the school lunch menu. Working with Mrs Maughan to establish lunchaeble items that are tasty yet healthy!
- Supporting and raising awareness of democracy and the election process through yearly ballots for the Young Mayor of North Tyneside.
- Working proactively alongside other community organisations to improve young people’s perception and attitude to litter in North Tyneside. Helping to make school and the local area a greener and tidier space.
- Being a fully inclusive and important part of the school interview process. Assembling and delivering key questions that we believe have helped to find the best employees for our school.
- Events to mark and celebrate recognised events. Christmas Fayre, Christmas Jumper Day and an Easter Raffle to name but a few!
- Encouraging greater awareness of mental health and positive well-being. Celebrating ‘Mental Health Awareness Week’ using our imaginations and creativity!
- Working closely with ‘The Bay Foodbank’ to support individuals and families who are in financial crisis. Developing a school-wide understanding and welcoming donations.
- Organising and undertaking a tasty cake sale to encourage awareness and raise a monetary donation for ‘MacMillan Cancer Support’.
- Working alongside members of SLT to uphold positive peer relationships. Celebrating positive interactions and friendships through the national ‘Anti-Bullying Week’ campaign.